I haven't had much chance to think about blogging lately. Between a trip out to Massachusetts to visit Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (Carl had been thinking Wheaton or Trinity, but after visiting GCTS, we're pretty sure it's Boston, not Chicago, for us in the next year), sick children, an online defensive driving course to cut our insurance costs, and trying NOT to think about my 30th birthday coming up in less than a month* ...
My head's been whirling. Oh, and I started editing the 1920s adventure-fantasy (that story is in desperate need of a title). Y'know, in my spare time. Which might explain why I'm only crawling through the editing process.
And in the midst of sickness, the littles have been impossibly cranky this month - this week especially they've had me tearing at my hair. Which proves to me that no matter how mild the winter, by the time February rolls around, we're all more than ready for spring. I recognize this crabbiness - it's the winter blues for sure. Joy buried her head in my chest this morning after getting up and refused to open her eyes or mouth for an hour straight, nodding her head when asked if she was sad and shaking it when I asked if she knew why. She's better now, but she still has no idea why she was so miserable this morning. A little while ago Gracie sprawled full length on the hall floor upstairs and gave herself over to wailing, again, for no reason. Winter blues indeed!
Right now the littles are having hot chocolate and I made myself extra-strong coffee; we will attempt kindergarten with Joy and give Gracie her alphabet flash cards to play with later; then they will play in the bathtub longer than they need to get clean; this afternoon I will let them watch their Beatrix Potter video while I attempt to get some writing or editing done - Mummy needs to tend her own needs as well as everyone else's, after all.
How is your February going? Has it been a happy winter for you, or are you ready for spring, too? Do you garden? I'm hoping to start a container garden this year for some veggies and herbs - tomatoes, lettuce, and peppers; thyme, basil, and marjoram. Yum!
*I'm really not freaking out about 30 - 29 was actually a lot harder for me to come to grips with - but it's still a big milestone, and I don't really have time to think about it with everything else right now, so instead I'll just wait until two weeks before and then start thinking about nothing else. Carl, if you're reading this - small birthday gifts every day from March 1st to 14th are perfectly acceptable.
First of all, is your birthday the 14th? Because I find that so very fitting as to be inevitable. My first best friend's birthday is March 14, as well as the guy I was madly in love with in high school, oh, and also Einstein, and it COULD very well be Anne Shirley's elusive birthday which would be most fitting of all. Also, I'm going to be 34 at the end of March, so you're like, a baby or something.
ReplyDeleteI've been having a very rough winter emotionally, but I had a very rough summer last summer too, so I don't think I can blame the daylight or lack thereof. But whenever anybody else seems down, i just want to wrap them up in a big supportive empathetic hug, even if it's virtual. So here I am! I'm with you! *HUG*
This summer was a terrible, terrible time, probably the blackest of my life. So even the dullness of this winter can't compare to that. It's mostly just wearying - the kind of gloom that just wears on you after a while, and the first time you straighten up in spring sunshine you feel all that weight slide off your shoulders, and oh hey, I'm turning poetical about it now! Clearly I must be feeling a little bit better. Probably the coffee this morning helped.
DeleteI think I am going to arbitrarily decide that Anne's birthday is March 14. It just makes SENSE.
Sorry you've had a blue February. Spring is right around the corner, though. It's pretty exciting that you might be going to Boston. It's such a fun city! Hope you get something done during the Beatrix Potter movie. I'm sometimes tempted to watch that one myself.
ReplyDeleteI ended up retreating upstairs with an e-book and blanket and spent the movie cuddled up and reading - but that was good, too. Needed, even.
DeleteAwww, I hope you and your girls feel a little more cheerful. It's been a weird winter here--warm, but man, we've been hit with one illness after another. I'm sick, again, and spending the day in bed.
ReplyDeleteAnd wow, you've been busy with so many things! Good luck with the editing--I know how that can crawl when there are so many other things going on.
Hope you're feeling better! We've been remarkably healthy up til now, and Joy's sickness was mostly caused by emotional distress from being worried about various things (tha child worries about FAR too much for a 4yo) last weekend, but it still does seem to grind the household to a halt when one or more of us goes down.
DeleteWe always think our lives are very slow and dull, until we look back six months later and realize that we've always, always got something going on.
This winter seems to be just draaaging for me, too--it's a huge time of uncertainty for me and my family on a lot of levels, and I'm impatient! Somehow I think that once the weather brightens a bit everything will get easier :) Thanks for posting--I feel like I'm less alone in the "winter of my discontent" now :)
ReplyDeleteOh, the uncertainty, it kills, doesn't it? We've been in an "in-between" place in our lives for three years now, and all of us are so ready to see some stability. I hope things settle for you soon - I heard a bird singing this morning, which reminded me that yes, spring and brighter times are coming.
DeleteThis part of winter is always the hardest. Spring just feels so far away. And we're all crankier than usual because of it!
ReplyDeleteHappy, happy early birthday greetings!
Thank you so much! I had a lovely long chat with my sister about birthday present ideas, and felt so much better afterward. Sometimes I'm pretty sure I'm a ten-year-old in an adult's body, that something like thinking about birthday presents should cheer me up so!
DeleteThis is the ONE thing that makes me glad to live where we live. While I long for seasonal change, around this time of year when my northern friends are posting about their Winter blahs and we are out blowing bubbles in the sunshine, it /almost/ makes up for the lack of fall color, crisp weather, and the occasional wish to see moonlight sparkling on snow.
ReplyDeleteI think you all need a vacation. Like, to a southern state. One with a theme park. That a friend of yours could get you free admission to. Think it over. :)
If it makes you feel any better, there have been no snowy moonlit nights here at all this winter - just rain, more rain, and occasionally for a change, bitter cold with nothing falling from the sky. I WANT TO GO SLEDDING!
DeleteBut a southern state with sunshine sounds nice, as does a chance to finally meet a long-time internet friend. Free theme park would just be a bonus :-) (Although my children watch so little tv and movies they wouldn't recognize any of the characters, which might be awkward.)
February is the month I dread because its dreariness (especially after a winter of no snow). So I'm very thankful that spring has come early here. I hope your girls feel better soon. I wish you lived nearby and I'd bring you a bouquet of daffodils--nothing like bright yellow flowers to add some sunshine to your day.
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you! Carl did bring me home a lovely bouquet of mixed flowers (no roses!) the day after Valentine's, so I have some pinks, reds, and yellows brightening up the dining room. I'm also wearing a summer sundress today (with long-sleeved shirt, leggings, and wool socks underneath) just to try to help things feel more cheery! With such tricks do we endure until March :-)
DeleteI never did get the chance to think about 30...still haven't, two months in. And I think I'm OK with that. It's been pretty great so far, so don't worry either way!
ReplyDelete