Monday, November 14, 2011

Insanity With a Side of Peace

Our weekend company has gone home, my house has been semi-restored to order, the only reminder of my tick bite is a tiny red dot on my back and a lingering fear of going back outside, and life is getting somewhat back to normal.

Of course, Carl is working (probably) long hours all week, making me effectively a temporary single parent, and then he's (maybe) flying out to Chicago for one day at the end of the week. And then we start getting ready for Thanksgiving. WHERE DID NOVEMBER GO???

So normal is just crazy. I think I'm starting to accept that. I love a peaceful, slow life, but that sort of life doesn't seem to love me, however hard I pursue it. And with Carl planning on going to graduate school, and then working for his PhD, and me turning toward indie publishing with at least one, if not more, books, and two little ones we intend to homeschool and also encourage to find their passion and chase it ...

Yeah. I don't think a slow life is in the books for us any time soon.

And that's okay. God knows what each of us need the most. Truth be told? If I had that slow, peaceful life, I would probably slump into laziness and slothfulness. I'm not the most driven person in the world.

The trick, for me, is finding moments of peace in the midst of the chaos. Sometimes when Joy is getting nervous and worked up, we send her to her room, not for a time-out, but just to have a bit of time alone to calm down. I need that, too. I want to find a way to be a peaceful person, even if my life is insane. And one way for me to accomplish that is snatching at moments when I can rest and restore myself.

And yes, that includes writing, because as much as it is my career choice, writing is also one of those things that restores my soul, so to speak. So, like Connie suggested on my last post, I am going to work, even this week of insanity, at finding those five to fifteen minutes of writing, each day.

It might be impossible, as I posited in that last post, to find balance, but that doesn't mean I need to stop trying.

(I apologize for all my recent posts running on a theme. Can you tell what's been on my mind lately? I'll try to think of something more original for my next post. Maybe I'll have had a chance to start reading The Taming of the Shrew and will be able to give thoughts on Shakespeare. It's a goal, at least!)


Before-bed craziness from a couple of weeks ago. I suspect we'll all start looking like this all the time by the end of this week.

6 comments:

  1. Cute picture! I like your idea of snatching moments to rest. I need to remember to do that. It's easy to get caught up in how busy things are, especially around the holidays. I hope you get some writing done. It sounds like you've set reasonable goals. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They may be running on a theme, but at least you're keeping them all POSITIVE. It's hard work not to be whiny! I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten - Thank you! The holidays really are a crazy time of year, right from November first to sometime mid-January. Maybe not the best time of year for writing; on the other hand, winter always inspires my creativity!

    Rockinlibrarian - Thank you for your encouragement! If I have to be monotonous, at least I'm chipper about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a deep felt need to have quiet alone time on a regular basis. Over stimulation makes me grumpy too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The trick, for me, is finding moments of peace in the midst of the chaos."

    I hear you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elle - yeah, my family likes me much better when I've had a chance to be alone for a time. Otherwise, I turn into Very Cranky Mamma, and nobody likes her!

    Lydia - and it is quite the trick - I think one has to be a magician to do that consistently!

    ReplyDelete