Here's what I'm reading this month:
Just finished Terrier and Bloodhound, by Tamora Pierce. I am never entirely certain that I like Pierce's works, but I did thoroughly enjoy the Beka Cooper books (as well as the Trickster duology, which I read last year), and I'm looking forward to when the third book comes out, hopefully this spring. (I'm also hoping that the little bit of feminist rhetoric that slipped into Bloodhound has something to do with the third book, and is not as out-of-place as it felt in the story, seeing as it had nothing to do with the plot or character development.)
Re-reading The Game, by Laurie R King. This was one of those that confused me a great deal by the time I ended it the first time around. I kept feeling there was more I was supposed to be getting from it. I'm hoping that confusion clear up on a second reading. It usually does, with the Mary Russell books.
Re-reading The First Two Lives of Lukas-Kasha, by Lloyd Alexander. This was one of the very first books by Alexander I ever read, and I love it. It's out of print and hard to find, but I was able to get a good deal on a used copy, and it even has the old cover! I purchased this with Christmas money from my parents, and I'm so excited to savor it again, after going so many years without reading it.
Reading (coincidentally enough) The Game, by Diana Wynne Jones. Jones is one of those authors who really makes you think through her books. They are not light fantasy (even the Christomanci books I have to read in short sections so really absorb what's happening) reads, but they are very, very good.
Reading Water, by Robin McKinley and Peter Dickinson. I love the prose of these two authors, and I've never read one of their collaborative works before.
Reading two of the Inspector Felse books, by Ellis Peters. I love her Brother Cadfael books, and just recently discovered the Inspector Felse books, so I'm enjoying delving into those. (Fun note - I introduced my mother-in-law to Brother Cadfael. She enjoyed them so much she asked her librarian what else Peters had written, and found out about the Inspector Felse books. Then she told me about them, and I'd never heard of them, so now I get to enjoy them too. I love it when things go full circle like that.)
For non-fiction, I am currently halfway through The Classic Maya, by Stephen D. Houston and Takeshi Inomata. If I manage to finish this before the end of January, I will start Yucatan Before and After the Conquest, by Fr. Diego de Landa (translated by William Gates).
I'm also hoping to start The Lost World of Genesis One, by John Walton. We're starting a study of Genesis with friends next week, and my husband recommended that book as good background.
Whew! Seems like a hefty list. Good thing most of the fiction books are easy reads.
What's on your reading list to start the new year?
No comments:
Post a Comment